SEGi Hotel, Tourism Graduates in Demand


SEGi College Sarawak’s graduates, particularly the Hotel Management and Tourism Management ones, are proving to be excellent employees in East Malaysia as well as in Peninsula Malaysia.

Feedback from various companies has given the College a very positive response on the working capabilities of its graduates.

One such graduate is Phin Jia Zhen who is working for Pullman Kuching.

Phin: A model employee

“I caught the attention of my employers when I was doing my internship with the 5-star hotel. I knew that if I worked hard I would have a good chance of securing a job here,” said the Diploma in Hotel Management holder.

“My internship with the Front Office Department was only for 3 months but I was actually offered a job just one month into my internship.”

Phin took up the offer after completing her internship and her final semester with SEGi College Sarawak. Her graduation, incidentally, was also held at the same hotel in October last year.

“I applied everything I had learnt into the work place and picked up some new skills and experience along the way. I’m following closely my desired career path and plan to work my way up the corporate structure,” she said.

Evidently, Pullman is recognising her skills and abilities as she has recently been promoted to Supervisor. She was also the Best Employee of the Month for December, 2010.

Pullman Reservation & Revenue Manager Mira Manirah Ahmad, Phin’s immediate superior, complimented that Phin is “a dedicated, disciplined, self-motivated and loyal person”.

''My target was to be promoted within the first year and I managed to achieve that first goal. I intend to remain focus and take every opportunity to improve myself further.”

Phin is one of the eight graduates who were gainfully employed before their graduation. Among those who secured jobs quickly include air steward Andy Voon, hoteliers Jolyn Wong, Tai Peng Jhuan, Khrisphine Kay, Mohd Sahlan and Jennifer Lee, and Joanna Fung - who is now working as a Assistant Program Executive cum Customer Service Officer in Singapore.


Most SEGi College Sarawak students are interned with the institution’s corporate partners and this is their opportunity to show to prospective employers that they are truly industry-driven graduates.

Many of the hotel and tourism graduates became employees of the corporations that they were interned to including the initial eight graduates in 2010. The remaining graduates, with the exception of those who decided to continue on to complete their degree, have nearly all secured jobs.

This success is not only evident in the Faculty of Hospitality but also in other faculties that offer business administration, marketing, human resource development, graphic design, interactive multimedia, computing and a host of other programmes.

The new semester for SEGi College Sarawak’s programmes commences on July 4th.
More information is obtainable toll-free at: 1-300-88-7344 or 082-252566, or via email infoswk@segi.edu.my.

2 comments:

  1. Segi is definately a good choice. Hi.. Im Joanna Fung. There are some correction on my career that I wish to make. Im actually working as a Assistant Program Executive cum Customer Service Officer in Singapore with a company name Just Education. Im not with the F&B line. Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Noted. Thanks Joanna. Will definitely update the article asap.

    Anyway, please help us to promote our Facabook page to your fellow SEGian/general public ya!

    https://www.facebook.com/segiswk

    We'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete